Sunday 26 July 2015

Recipe - "Assam (Tamarind) Prawns"


Assam Prawns


Assam (Tamarind) Prawns

My mum taught me how to cook Assam Prawns. A fairly large or medium size prawns are used for this dish. During my childhood days, my mum cooked this dish only on special occasions because large prawns were expensive. My late dad, my siblings and I love this dish. This dish is easy to prepare.

 
Ingredients

 


 
Ginger and garlic
 
thick caramel sauce




500 gm large or medium prawns (deveined and washed)

65 gm tamarind paste

1 tsp soy sauce

¼ sugar

1 tbsp thick caramel sauce

Pepper

3 cloves garlic (sliced)

4 slices ginger (cut into smaller pieces)

1 tbsp oil

 
Procedure
 

In a bowl, add some water to tamarind paste. Mash paste with water till evenly mixed.




Use a sieve to remove the pulp. Set the tamarind juice aside.

Heat a wok. Add oil. Saute ginger and garlic till golden brown.

In low heat, add prawns, soy sauce, thick caramel sauce, a dash of pepper, sugar and tamarind juice. Stir and mix well.

Cover the wok with a lid. In between cooking, stir the prawns.

Cook till prawns are crisp, caramelised and aromatic.

Dish out and serve with rice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment