Sunday 31 August 2014

Recipe - Sweet Sauce ("Tim Cheong")

Sweet sauce ("Tim Cheong")
 Sweet sauce (“Tim Cheong”)
Sweet sauce is a popular condiment in Malaysian cuisine. It is commonly use as a dip in finger food such as fried spring rolls, fresh spring rolls (popiah), “chee cheong fun”, steamboat (hot pot) and etc.

Sweet sauce is  easily accessible in Malaysia. You can get them at the wet markets, local sundries and even supermarkets. I usually bring half a litre with me each time I return to Sydney from Malaysia. Since I can’t wait for another six months to get my sweet sauce, I decided to follow this recipe. I am very happy with the outcome of the sweet sauce and more importantly it tastes almost similar to the one I bought.

If you are living in overseas and wish to make this sweet sauce, here is the recipe.
"Taucu"
Caramel dark sauce ("Dark soy sauce")
 Ingredients

200 gm “taucu” (mince bean paste)
1 cup of water
½ cup of caramel dark sauce
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 ½  tbsp of corn flour mix with some water
Sugar (as to your taste)

Pound or blend the “taucu” until it becomes fine paste.

Heat the wok or pan. Once wok/pan is hot, add the oil. Reduce to small flame, and fry the “taucu” for 30 seconds.

Add water and keep on stirring until it boils. Then put in the dark sauce.

Add sugar. The amount of it is up to your taste.

Continue stirring and finally put in the corn flour to thicken the sauce. Turn off the flame. Let it cool. Pour the sweet sauce into an airtight bottle and put it in the fridge.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Where do you get your taucu bean paste from?! I'm from Sydney too and my mum loves this brand. We are about to run out and I don't know where to find it in Sydney! Please tell me you know a place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ponponvon. I can't find this brand here in Sydney either. I bought it from Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete